Wednesday 22 October 2014

I’m Speaking but Is God Even Listening?



Does God hear, listen and answer our prayers?

Now that we know what prayer is and how it is important, how can we even be sure that God is listening? I can personally tell you that I would not be able to confirm whether or not God hears our prayers if He had not showed me the extent to which He does.

I can assure you that the reason why I am still standing, is because I am confident and 200% sure that the Lord hears, listens and answers our prayers. You may wonder how I know that. Well… we must start from the beginning. You must believe that God exists, that He is our creator, and believe that He molded you in his image and knew you before you were born. And most importantly, that Jesus the son of God, came on earth to take the fall for your sins so you can be blameless and have life abundantly. We call that faith. Faith can do so much if you let it. The bible says, faith as small as a mustard seed can allow you to move mountains. They are approx. 1.5 mm in diameter...Do you realize how small that is?


God is not asking us for much, all he wants is for us to believe, as small as our belief may be, it is enough. The reason why faith is so important is because without it, there isn’t much you can do. You can’t believe that God is your hope, you can’t believe you will find joy when sorrow comes, and you certainly won’t believe that God will hear your prayer. As it is written in Hebrews 11:6,
 And without faith is is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
Do you get the point yet? Faith is necessary to read the word of God as well, otherwise you won't be able to believe anything it says particularly not 1 John 5:14-15: 
 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
Faith is that confidence and the assurance to believe that all Christ has said is true and that he is not a man that he should lie. That’s the faith of many Christians. But unfortunately a lot of us still struggle with doubt and that may be where you are at for the moment. I too was there at some point. I could read every scripture about some particular thing I was facing, but because I was lacking faith, I didn't believe the Lord could provide a way out, even though it was written in His word. So when I would pray, I had a similar attitude, of disbelief... so of course He wasn't listening, because I wasn't believing what I was asking Him to do for me. Sometimes it is because it's super hard to have and to keep faith when you don’t see God doing anything or He seems quiet or not listening. But that is NOT the time to stop praying. Please! Keep the faith, and keep praying, God is listening I promise.

Sometimes, God will answer my prayers in the next 24 hours, but other times, not understanding why myself, (remember his ways are not are ways) God will take his time or not answer immediately. His silence can be interpreted as: wait it’s not time yet, no I have something better for you/it’s not my will or just trust me I know what I am doing, or maybe he is testing out your faith. The only purpose for the trial and the testing of our faith is to make it stronger so you can reach new heights. So the key component to prayer when your faith is being tested, is to keep praying




You in particular may not be struggling with having faith to believe that God is real and that he answers prayers and you may also be praying day and night without ceasing, but still feel like you are not being heard. I must ask you this… Are you coming to Christ with a sincere heart? Are you surrendering yourself to Him?

Coming to Christ with a sincere heart just means you are not being fake about anything in front of Him. He is God! He knows, hears and sees everything. If you are asking Him to forgive you for something you have done wrong, while you have not forgiven your sister, your brother or your friend for doing something wrong to you, I would expect silence. Same thing if you are asking Him for financial provision in order to pay your bills but you refused to lend 2$ to your mom yesterday when she wanted to buy coffee even though you had the means… well then again, I would expect silence. You can’t play God, you’re only playing yourself by doing so. You don’t want to be perceived as a hypocrite do you? Because, what you do to others, you also do to Christ. It is no wonder we ask God for forgiveness before coming to him with a request. And that forgiveness is found nowhere else but at the cross, nothing but the blood of Jesus washes away our sins… hence why the bible says no one comes to the father but except through the son.

So basically, the same way faith is the reason we believe that The Lord heals the sick or forgives the sinners, is the same faith we need to believe God listens to us when we speak. Have you ever tried asking God for faith? If you are struggling or are unable to surpass the doubts, ask God to give you faith to believe. He will HOOK YOU UP!

Psalms 66:16-20 (NIV)
Come and hear, all you who fear God; let me tell you what he has done for me. I cried out to him with my mouth; his praise was on my tongue. If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened; but God has surely listened and has heard my prayer. Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld his love from me!


By: Vicky (Vessel Speaker)

No comments:

Post a Comment