Thursday 9 October 2014

What Does Thanksgiving Mean To You?


What's the point of this holiday?


What does thanksgiving mean to you? Does it mean delicious turkey or fun family gathering? I think in the society we live in today where we have everything and we want everything, we don’t necessarily take the time to thank God for everything…  

My philosophy prof this week touched base a little on religion and asked why do we need to be good people? And he said one of the philosopher’s said we need to be good for God. And the prof answered the statement saying "why does a God who has everything need anything from us?" And I disagree with the word he used. God does not need us, rather he wants us. And even though we need God, you have to come to a point in your life where you don’t feel the need to give God thanks or praise him, but because you want to!

Understand first of all where you came from. I don’t mean how you ‘started from the bottom and now you here’ I mean where were you? Where was your soul, where was your heart, where was your desire? Remember your testimony. Whenever you weren’t able to kneel down and pray because of so much guilt and shame or when you would cry yourself to sleep thinking there is no way out. Please, it’s important to remember that. The children of Israel always forgot how far they had come and God kept getting angry with them and could never bless them. Is that you?

Second, you must know that God is God. Did you create the grass, the seasons, the birds or the sky? You go outside and see the beautiful leaves changing colours, but do you know who drew that? I say you must know God is God simply because you have to understand that there is someone greater watching over you, someone greater orchestrating your life and someone greater pouring his grace over you and giving you breath and allowing you to see a new day. Most importantly you must acknowledge the fact that He has redeemed you by his sacrifice at the cross.

So I’m asking you again, what does thanksgiving mean to you? Are you saying thanks to God at the thanksgiving table only because you NEED to, since your mom told you to, or are you saying thanks profoundly from your heart because you WANT to?


1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NIV)
Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.


By: Vicky (Vessel Speaker)

1 comment:

  1. My birthday lies on Thanksgiving day (every 4 years). I cherish this time
    Of the year as it is very special to me! It not only reflects the day of my birth but it allows me to remember all that He has done for me. Thank you Lord for everything! "Bless The Lord my soul. He's your God, and all that is within me, bless His holy name!"

    ReplyDelete