Friday 3 October 2014

Why Am I So Superficial?

Self-check: 

Ever look at yourself while you were getting ready and wondered why is it that you put so much importance in finding the right outfit or getting your eyebrows on point or having your hair brushed out perfectly? I know I love to look good. But at what point is loving to look good a problem? I would probably say when it starts to affect your relationship with God.

Whenever I wake up, I don’t have much time to do my hair + my makeup + eat + do my devotion. There’s always something I need to cut off, and it most likely won’t be sleep because I love sleep. Usually its breakfast that I remove. But sometimes, when I get too much sleep in, there’s something else that’s going to go… usually it’s a battle between makeup and devotion. Can you believe it…? I weigh the benefits of looking good vs. the benefit of spending time with my Father, the one who woke me up.

The times when I do choose to go with the “looking good today” option I spend so much more time than usual because I “want to look good today”. But once all the process is done… I look at myself, take selfies and yes I do say “wow I look good”... you know those days?... when the swag is on point! But when I take a second look… I don’t look good. You’re only really truly beautiful when the glory of God is upon you. How can you put on all of that and expect to feel beautiful when you didn’t allow God to reflect his beauty on you.

Sometimes I don’t even realize that the reason I don’t find myself beautiful is because I was missing something. No not lipstick, no not concealer or blush… but Jesus. So I go about my day constantly popping into the washroom to see if I look any better, but no I still look “basic”. It’s a whole perception I believe. Sometimes some people will come up to me and say oh you look good today and I’ll say thanks but deep down I disagree. It may not be that you don’t look good, but you don’t feel pretty. See what happened is, by missing that time with God in the morning, you missed the reminder that God loves you just the way you are and that he created you fearfully and wonderfully. Yes, we do need a daily reminder that Jesus Christ loves us because we are humans, we have the tendency to forget. So now the enemy finds ways to enter your mind and fill it with lies. Which nothing but the word of God can wipe out.


So I guess now we must ask ourselves: why is it that we spend so much time on our appearance but can't seem to do the same when it comes to God? According to the daily mail "Women dedicate 55 min a day to their appearance - the equivalent of 2 weeks a year". Does that shock you? I guess maybe when you compare it to 2 weeks a year it seems excessively much... but that's the reality. Can we say we spend 55 min a day reading the word of God though? And the same goes for young men. How much time do you spend at the gym or watching Sports Centre? Can you compare that to the amount of time you spend in the presence of God. 

If we love God why don't we do it? We love looking good but why isn't our spiritual body getting the same attention? The bible says man looks at the appearance but God looks at the heart. So ask yourself today... "who am I trying to please?"


1 Peter 3:3-4 (NLT)
3 Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.



Proverbs 31:30 (NLT) 
Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised.
30 


By: Vicky (Vessel Speaker)


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2566918/How-long-did-spend-mirror-morning-Women-dedicate-55-minutes-day-appearance-equivalent-two-weeks-year.html#ixzz3F3FeoC2v 

No comments:

Post a Comment