Tuesday 14 October 2014

Should I… or Should I Not Be Watching This?





The television shows you KNOW you should not be watching


Most of the time, if not always, we are aware of what is good and what is bad. I’m not talking in a general sense… I’m talking about what God qualifies acceptable and not acceptable. You are able to tell whether something is unacceptable to God if it goes against what the word of God says… Remember that the Holy Spirit is our friend, he will speak to you and nudge you to remind you. Even though you have the decision to listen or ignore Him, he still warns you, so you can’t say he didn’t tell you.

All the good shows are back this fall right: Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, Revenge, Degrassi, Vampire Diaries and all the other shows on Netflix. What is The Holy Spirit telling you about the shows you are watching? Are you listening to Him? Are you paying attention to the signs and the warnings? Is the content of those shows causing you to feel a little uneasy and causing you to mute or skip certain parts? The enemy is smart, he knows what kind of shows we like, and the problem is we’re letting him use that to infiltrate things in our mind.

I’m a former fan of Scandal. Like a huge die hard, obsessed with team Fitz, watched the 3 first seasons fan, but when God kept telling me over and over again to stop watching it and as I was seeing how a lot of my mentality began changing from watching it, I obeyed and stayed away from it. I noticed it began affecting me in a way that I was making up scenarios in my head of what I would do if the president and I were having an affair. Haha as if right? Or what I would do if Khloe called me the “B” word and how I would’ve gone wild just like Kourtney did. It was things that, as a child of God, I shouldn’t be imagining or contemplating. God tells us to set our mind on things above, clearly I wasn’t doing so. So I stopped watching the show and various other shows for that matter even if it meant hearing people talk about how amazing or scandalous last episode was. I believe that when we watch these drama series or even the reality shows, we start living vicariously through the lives of the characters and this means that everything they do, we agree with and essentially we start believing in our minds that nothing is wrong with it. Nothing is wrong with cheating on your husband, nothing is wrong with sleeping with your prof, nothing is wrong with taking drugs or with dressing in a provocative way. You start believing this… yet you know the truth… and that is, it is not acceptable to God. Just because you are not the one physically committing the sin, by you agreeing to it, doesn’t that also make you responsible for the sin?

The shows you may be watching may not be focused on adultery or what not. It may strictly be about a firefighter saving lives or investigators solving crime cases, but it’s the short scenes here and there of the characters sleeping together or of them swearing or of a homosexual couple making out… it’s those scenes that make the whole show filthy. If you have to skip one scene because of the content, what’s the point of watching the rest? If only a section of a shirt is dirty, doesn’t that make the entire shirt dirty? Why would you cut off the dirty part, and wear the rest of the shirt anyway? Do you know what I mean?


The shows airing on TV in our day and age are causing many of us to stumble. We believe what we see is true life and is the best life. All I’m trying to say is, we need to stop ignoring the fact that the enemy is using these shows to get us into sin and to get us to tolerate it period. We must be smarter than him!!! We have become desensitized to homosexuality in TV shows to a point that we begin to find it normal. All of these television shows are based on sex, coarse language and violence. Isn’t God teaching us the opposite? You’re reversing the change God is trying to bring to your life. He cleanses you: your mind and your heart but you keep getting dirty. And it’s not like you can’t avoid it. God is speaking to you but are you listening, or are you ignoring him!?

By: Vicky (Vessel Speaker)

Proverbs 4:20-27 (NIV)
My son, pay attention to what I say; turn your ear to my words. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to one’s whole body. Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Keep your mouth free of perversity; keep corrupt talk far from your lips. Let your eyes look straight ahead; fix your gaze directly before you. Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways. Do not turn to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil.

1 Corinthians 6:12 (NIV)
“I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but I will not be mastered by anything.



By: Vicky (Vessel Speaker)


2 comments:

  1. Awesome post! Thank you so much for writing this it really helped solidify my stance in TV shows we watch. I also really like your analogy of wearing a shirt that's partially dirty. Good job!

    ReplyDelete